Railways in Notton
The following images are of the railways previously running in the Parish of Notton. The footpath / cycleway between Old Royston and Newmillerdam was originally part of a branch of the Midland Railway intended as a direct route to Bradford and Scotland, avoiding Leeds. The project was abandoned through lack of funding when the route reached Thornhill Junction. It was opened in 1905 and closed to scheduled trains in 1968.
Royston Junction (Old Royston) was on the line built from Derby to Leeds in 1840. The signalbox at Royston Junction controlled the mainline, the branch line and the marshaling yard at Monckton serving the colliery and cokeworks.
The bridleway from Applehaigh Lane to Station Road in Royston gave access to Royston and Notton station. The line from Barnsley to Notton was opened in 1870. The remnants of the bridge over the road at Royston can still be seen as can the embankment which supported the station.
Interior of Royston Junction signal box
Freight train joining the mainline from the Thornhill branch
Breakdown train heading South on the mainline with remains of the branch line visible.